skip to content

International Students


The following guidance is provided to help EEA and Swiss nationals prepare a student visa application for Cambridge from outside the UK (entry clearance). Check the information for EEA nationals to confirm you will require a student visa. 

When and where to apply

When: You must apply for your student visa before you travel to the UK and commence your studies at Cambridge. You can only submit and pay for your application once you have been issued your CAS.

UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI) advises that decisions on applications using the standard service aim to be made in 15 working days but the timeframe can vary depending on when and where you make your application. A priority service is available in most countries at additional cost and aims to make a decision on the application in 5 working days. Some countries also offer a super priority 24 hour service for a decision. 

Where: You should apply for your student visa in your country of nationality or country of residence (where you have permission to live other than as a visitor).

CAS (Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies)

Your student visa application must be supported with a Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS). The Postgraduate Admissions Office issues CAS for new postgraduate students and postgraduate students continuing to a new course. The International Student Office issues all other CAS. Your CAS Statement will be sent to you by email. You must enter the CAS reference number in the relevant section of the student visa application.  

The ‘Your CAS Explained’ document outlines the information that is included in the CAS Statement. When you receive your CAS, check it against this document. You should make sure that all of the details in your CAS Statement are correct and let the office who issued your CAS know if you identify any errors. These will need to be corrected prior to you submitting your visa application.

How to apply

You will need to complete an online application form which includes paying the relevant fee. The cost of a standard student visa application is currently £348. Priority and super priority services may be available at a higher cost.

As part of the application process you will need to prove your identity. As an EEA or Swiss national you can do this using the UK Immigration: ID Check app. Using the app, you will need to scan your passport with a biometric chip and upload a photo of yourself. You will need either an iPhone 7 or newer or an Android phone to use the app.

You will firstly need to complete the online student visa application. When you get to the identity verification stage you will be given instructions to verify your ID using the phone app. Guidance on using the app is provided on the website. The application will ask you to confirm which Visa Application Centre will you be attending. Please note that this is only required if you are unable to use the app.

If you can’t use the app

If the app does not work on your phone, you could ask a family member of friend to use their phone. You only need to use the app to verify your ID. No information is stored on the app and you can delete it from the phone after you have completed this step.

If you are still unable to use the app, you will need book an appointment at a visa application centre as part of your application.

If you don’t have a biometric passport

You will need book an appointment at a visa application centre as part of your application.


As an EEA or Swiss national, you qualify for differentiation arrangements when you apply for your visa. For most students this means you do not need to provide documents to support the application except for your passport, which will be used to verify your identity via the app. Some clarification is outlined below. 

English language ability

No evidence of English language ability needs to be submitted as part of the visa application, even if this was a condition of your offer to study at Cambridge. The exception is students who are applying for a visa to attend the ADTIS pre-sessional course only.

Your CAS will confirm that the University, as a Higher Education Provider, has assessed your English language ability and it is at the required level.

Financial requirements

As an EEA and Swiss national, you are not required to provide any financial evidence to support your student visa application.

UK Visas and Immigration advises that you should still make sure you have the required funds and they reserve the right to ask you to provide evidence of this. You are expected to have sufficient funds to cover your course fees as stated in your CAS plus £1015 in living costs for each month of your course up to a maximum of 9 months. The guidance on the website has further information about financial requirements.

Under 18s

If you are under 18 years old at the time of your visa application, you will need to provide proof of parental consent and proof of relationship (a birth certificate or equivalent). You can upload these as supporting documents to your application.

TB Screening

If you have only lived within the EEA and Switzerland in the last 6 months, you will not need to have a Tuberculosis (TB) test as part of your student visa application.

If you are coming to the UK for more than 6 months and have lived for at least 6 months in one of the countries specified by UK Visas and Immigration on their website in the period prior to making your application, you will be required to provide a TB clearance certificate with your application.

 You normally need to be tested at a clinic that has been approved by UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI). The test will involve having a chest x-ray and, if clear, you will be given a certificate which is valid for 6 months and must be uploaded as a supporting document to your visa application. UKVI approved clinics are only located in countries where TB testing is usually required for the visa application. If you are no longer living in a country with an approved test centre, contact the International Student Office for further guidance.

Healthcare surcharge

Applicants coming to the UK for 6 months or longer will be required to pay a mandatory immigration health surcharge in order to access healthcare services in the UK. This is charged at £470 per year for the duration the visa will be granted. If the permission granted includes part of a year that is 6 months or less, the amount payable for that year would be £235.

Payment is made online as part of the visa application. The amount charged is calculated based on the course start and end dates inputted into the application form and takes into consideration the short post-study period you will be granted on the end of the visa.

If your visa application is not successful, you will automatically be refunded the immigration health surcharge (but not the visa application fee).


You will receive an email confirming the outcome of your application. The visa will be granted as a digital immigration status which you can view online if you used the verification ID app.

Your student visa will be valid:

• from 7 days before your planned date of travel to the UK, as stated in your visa application form*; OR
• from the date of issue if granted after the intended date of travel as stated on the visa application form.

*The earliest your student visa can be valid is one month prior to the start date of your course, in line with student visa policy.

Check your digital status to make sure the information is correct.  Contact the International Student Office if you identify any errors or want to check the information is correct.

Coming to Cambridge

You cannot travel to the UK to commence your studies until the visa application process has been completed and you have received a successful outcome.

You must enter the UK within the validity of your student visa permission. Please note you cannot enter on your student immigration permission before the ‘valid from’ date. In addition, you cannot enter the UK earlier as a standard visitor (tourist) and then 'switch' inside the UK to your student visa even if the entry vignette is in your passport. If you enter the UK as a visitor, you will need to leave the UK and re-enter to activate your immigration permission as a student.

You should ensure you understand and comply with the conditions of your student visa and your responsibilities as a student with visa sponsorship at Cambridge.

Your College will provide guidance on arrangements for arriving in Cambridge. You may need to allow for a possible period of 'self-isolation' after arrival in the UK depending on where you are coming from. Further information is outlined on the Government website and a list of the countries exempt is being kept up to date in the information on travel corridors.

Guidance from the International Student Office

The University's International Student Office provides a visa advice service to assist with queries in relation to your student visa application.

Please note that we are unable to advise by telephone. When you email please quote your application number or student reference number within your message.