skip to content

International Students


The University applies strict working restrictions on students.

Overview of University's work restrictions during studies

Undergraduate students are expected not to work during term-time.

Masters students undertaking a course of less than twelve months are expected not to work during term-time.

Graduate research students undertaking a course of more than twelve months may undertake the following type of work up to a maximum of ten hours per week, with the approval of their supervisor:

  • academic-related work which takes place within the University or College;
  • outreach work undertaken on behalf of the University;
  • work related to a student's professional or career development (in which case the work can take place outside of the collegiate University).

If graduate research students are working for more than one employer (e.g. a Department and a College), they should make all parties aware of the other work they are undertaking to ensure that no more than 10 hours is worked in total.

Please note that the term and vacation dates used by undergraduates do not apply to graduate students. Masters students should consult their Faculty or Department for further details regarding official vacation periods. The academic year for graduate research students is continuous throughout the year, from 1 October to 30 September. It is therefore not possible for a graduate research student, for example, to undertake full-time work during the summer period. Whilst breaks for holidays are permitted, at times agreed with your supervisor, these are not periods that would permit full-time work.

Please note some grant-awarding bodies only allow a maximum of six hours of work per week.

Students on a Tier 4 visa should ensure they are familiar with the restrictions on the type of work permitted.

Working after submission of PhD thesis for examination

  • The period between submission of thesis for examination and official notification of viva outcome is considered to be 'vacation' period and you can work full time.
  • The period between official notification of the viva outcome and unconditional approval of degree, which includes time working on corrections if applicable, is considered a return to full-time study. Working can be undertaken as follows:
    • students who are not studying on a Tier 4 visa can continue to work full-time during this period unless the viva outcome is ‘revise and resubmit’.
    • students on a Tier 4 visa can only work for up to 20 hours a week in accordance with the restrictions of their Tier 4 visa.

Please note that extensions to the deadline for submitting corrections on the grounds of employment would not be approved.

You may also wish to refer to our work visas for after study page.