skip to content

International Students


If you are being sponsored to study at Cambridge on a Tier 4 student visa, it is important you read our guide, Your Responsibilities under Tier 4.

You will need to ensure you comply with the conditions attached to your visa and co-operate with the University in fulfilling its Tier 4 Sponsor licence duties. The guide explains the requirements of studying under Tier 4 at Cambridge and provides guidance on protecting your immigration status in the UK. It provides detailed information on the areas outlined below.

Part-time students under Tier 4 should read the Tier 4 responsibilities guide for part-time students.

At Cambridge, the International Student Office is responsible for administering the University's Tier 4 Sponsor Licence and ensuring compliance with student immigration legislation. The University's requirements:

  • Hold a copy of your passport and immigration documents.
  • Keep up-to-date UK contact details including both address and telephone number.
  • Inform the Home Office if you do not arrive as expected.
  • Monitor your attendance and engagement with your studies.
  • Inform the Home Office if there is a change of circumstances with your studies, for example if you change course, intermit, discontinue or complete earlier than the course end date given in your CAS.
  • Inform the Home Office if we believe you are breaching the conditions of your leave (e.g. working over the permitted allowance).

In addition, students must abide by the conditions attached to a Tier 4 visa, which include: