skip to content

International Students


Do I need a visa to study?

If you are a national of a country in the European Economic Area (EEA) or Switzerland and starting your studies in 2020 you will not require a visa to study in the UK. 

If you are a national of any other country, and you do not have indefinite leave to remain to in the UK, a visa is required for study and you will need to provide evidence of this prior to starting at Cambridge.

What type of visa do I need?

It is important to ensure you have the correct visa which permits study in the UK. The type of visa you require depends on the type of course you are coming to study:

  • If you are coming for a course or period of study that is for less than six months, you may be able to come as a short-term student.
  • If you are coming to study a course that is longer than 6 months, a Tier 4 visa is issued for study. 
  • If you already have UK immigration permission under a different visa type you may be able to study on that visa without needing to apply for a student visa.

If you are entering the UK for the purpose of study, a standard visitor visa will not allow you to undertake studies at Cambridge.