skip to content

International Students


Students accepted for a part-time postgraduate degree at Cambridge will need to check what visa support can be provided for their particular programme as this can vary depending on the attendance requirements and structure.

The information on this page is relevant to part-time postgraduate degrees. If you will be undertaking part-time study at a different level, or on a non-credit course or non-degree award-bearing programme, you are advised to contact the relevant Department, Faculty or Institution at the University to check whether visa support is possible for the course you intend to do.

If you already have a UK immigration status that permits you to undertake your course of study, you will be asked to provide evidence of this during the admissions process. If it is confirmed you can undertake the programme with this status, the information on this page will not be relevant unless your existing immigration permission does not cover the length of your course. In this scenario, you will need to consider what you intend to do when it expires and the information on this page may be relevant. You will need to provide evidence to the University of continued valid immigration permission that allows study, in accordance with the University's Home Office compliance requirements. Pending applications and permissions granted in expired passport may need to be verified with the Home Office. 

Part-time degree courses where attendance is required for short teaching sessions

Students on part-time courses longer than 6 months where the majority of the time is spent outside the UK and attendance in Cambridge is only required for short teaching sessions can be supported under the visitor immigration route. This includes part-time degrees at the Institute of Continuing Education, Cambridge Institute for Sustainability Leadership and some courses at Cambridge Judge Business School. Examples of programmes include Cambridge Executive MBA, Master of Accounting (MAcc) and Master of Studies (MSt). These courses are not eligible for student visa sponsorship due to the structure and attendance arrangements. 

Prospective students should ensure they are familiar with the restrictions of this immigration status as outlined on our short period of study page. These courses cannot be sponsored for a student visa.

Part-time postgraduate research programmes

Part-time postgraduate research degrees admitted via the Postgraduate Admissions Office are supported under the visitor immigration route. Students will be based overseas, studying for the majority of their time outside of the UK and only intend to come to Cambridge for short periods for certain activities across the year. Prospective students should ensure they are familiar with the restrictions of this immigration status as outlined on our short period of study page.

The University will only sponsor a student visa for a part-time research degree if the reason for studying part-time, rather than the equivalent full-time option, is owing to a disability. In these circumstances, the student is expected to be based in Cambridge for the majority of their course and engaging with their studies. If this is applicable, students should ensure they read the responsibilities guide on a part-time student visa to understand the requirements and restrictions of a part-time student visa. This includes that the visa does not permit any work or allow dependant family members. 

Current postgraduate research students considering changing from full-time to part-time study should read the information under ‘Changing your mode of study' on our Changes in Circumstances page. 

Master of Education (MEd)

Students who will be studying part-time on most MEd routes in the Faculty of Education can be sponsored by the University for a part-time student visa. This will enable students to be based in the UK during their studies but the requirements and restrictions of the visa should be considered prior to accepting an offer of admission. Students who do not hold a UK or Irish passport will be required to provide evidence of a student visa or an alternative UK visa which permits study on a course of more than 6 months, in order to commence the course. MEd Transforming Practice has different attendance requirements and cannot be sponsored for a student visa; attendance at teaching sessions is supported under the visitor route