skip to content

International Students


If you are being sponsored to study full-time at Cambridge on a student visa, it is important you read our guide, Your responsibilities on a student visa.These apply if you are studying on a Tier 4 student visa or a visa granted under the student route after 5 October 2020.

You will need to ensure you comply with the conditions attached to your visa and co-operate with the University in fulfilling its sponsor duties. The guide explains the requirements of studying on a student visa at Cambridge and provides information on protecting your immigration status in the UK. It provides detailed guidance on the areas outlined below.

As your visa sponsor, the University is required to act in accordance with Home Office policy. At Cambridge, the International Student Office is responsible for overseeing institutional compliance with student immigration legislation. The University is required to:

  • Hold a copy of your current passport and up to date immigration documents.
  • Keep up-to-date UK contact details including both address and telephone number.
  • Inform the Home Office if you do not arrive as expected.
  • Monitor your engagement with your studies.
  • Notify the Home Office if there is a change of circumstances with your studies, for example if you change course, intermit, stop studying prior to completion or you complete earlier than the course end date given in your CAS. 
  • Inform the Home Office if we believe you are breaching the conditions of your leave (e.g. working over the permitted allowance).

In addition, students must abide by the conditions attached to their visa, which include:

Part-time students on a student visa should read the Tier 4 responsibilities guide for part-time students.