skip to content

International Students


The UK operates an immigration system underpinned by the principle of visa sponsorship. The University must hold a Student sponsor licence, granted by UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI), in order to sponsor a visa for a student to study at Cambridge. This visa is issued for study on a particular course at the University. 

The following webpages provide detailed information on the student visa application process and requirements:

Applying outside the UK:

Applying for entry clearance under the Student visa route (applying outside the UK)

Applying for entry clearance under the Student visa route as an EEA or Swiss national (applying outside the UK)

You must complete the whole process outside the UK i.e. apply for and obtain your visa prior to travelling to the UK, and enter on or after the start date of the new student visa.

Applying inside the UK:

This may be possible if you are already in the UK holding a valid visa that permits you to make an application in the UK under the Student route.

Applying for permission to stay under the Student visa route (applying from inside the UK)

Visa advice:

The International Student Office provides a visa advice service, offering further assistance on applying for a student visa as well as information on related areas of immigration. 

Student visa responsibilities:

Students should ensure they understand and comply with the conditions of a student visa and the responsibilities attached to visa sponsorship at Cambridge.