skip to content

International Students


The UK operates a points-based immigration system underpinned by the principle of visa sponsorship. A Tier 4 visa is issued to study in the UK. The sponsor for Tier 4 purposes is the educational institution where the student will study. The visa is issued for a particular course at the institution.

You must apply for a Tier 4 visa prior to travelling to the UK unless you are already in the UK holding a valid visa that permits you to make an application for further leave to remain under Tier 4.

The following webpages provide detailed information on the Tier 4 application process and requirements:

Applying for Tier 4 entry clearance (overseas application)

Applying for Tier 4 leave to remain (applying from inside the UK)

The International Student Office provides a visa advice service, offering further assistance on applying for a Tier 4 visa as well as information on related areas of immigration and post-study visa options.  


Changes to the student immigration route are scheduled to be implemented on 5 October 2020. This is to enable EEA students to apply for a visa, which will be required if moving to the UK for studies from 1 January 2021. The general principles and procedures of the current visa system will remain the same. Further information will be updated on these webpages when the new system is implemented.