skip to content

International Students


For information on how to apply to be a visiting student at Cambridge please find information on our Types of Study pages.

If you are a national of a country in the EEA or Switzerland, you do not need a visa to study. However, if you are a national of any other country you require a visa for study purposes. Do not assume that you can study without a visa, even if you are allowed to visit the UK for a short period. Study is not permitted as a general or business visitor in the UK.

If you believe you already hold immigration permission which will allow you to study at Cambridge as a visitor, please provide evidence of this to the International Student Team at who will confirm. If your course requires ATAS clearance and your visa is issued on or after 6 April 2015, you will need to obtain this clearance before starting your course on your current visa.

Tier 4

If you intend to visit the University of Cambridge for a study period of greater than six months and have been accepted by a Faculty or Department, the appropriate immigration route is Tier 4. Please consult our immigration information on visiting for more than six months.

If you are coming to study for less than six months but your study requires you to undertake a work placement (e.g. Medical Elective) then you also require a Tier 4 (General) visa.

Short-term study route

If you are coming to Cambridge for less than six months, then the appropriate immigration option is a short-term study visa. Please consult our immigration information on visiting for six months or less.