Even as you are studying, you will start thinking of the next steps; whether to continue with studying, seek work, set up a business, travel or return home.
Developing your skills
The University's skills portal helps you make the most of Cambridge and prepare for your future by enhancing and developing your skills to improve your future prospects whether you want to continue studying, enter employment or set up your own business.
Keeping in touch
Development and Alumni Relations keeps you in touch with the University and with former Cambridge students worldwide.
Planning to leave
Alongside these decisions you need to consider making practical arrangements to consider. For example:
- Finalise any bills, arrange return of deposits, cancel any standing orders or direct debits
- Notify people about your departure (e.g. College, Faculty, doctor, dentist)
- Arrange redirection of your mail
If you are returning home or relocating, even before you complete your studies, you should start to:
- Consider how to move your goods; does your airline impose any weight or size limits; who will you use, what services do they offer, what are their insurance arrangements
- Consider whether you can pass on any items to colleagues or charity shops
- Book your travel, to obtain best deal
- Find new accommodation
You should also prepare yourself to readjust to your new surroundings. Even if you are returning home it is not unusual to find you need time to adjust.
If you currently hold a visa to study, and you are moving on to new study or work, you will require a new visa to reflect your reason for remaining in the UK. Further information is on our visas after studying page.