skip to content

International Students


The countries in the European Economic Area are:

Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Republic of Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, the Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Spain, and Sweden. 

If you are a national of an EEA country or Switzerland and moving to the UK to start a full-time course at Cambridge, you will require a student visa in order to study at the University.

Irish citizens are not subject to UK immigration control and will not need a visa to live and study in the UK.

If you were resident in the UK prior to 1 January 2021 and hold a valid status under the EU Settlement Scheme, you will not require a student visa. If you are starting your studies from the academic year 2021/22, you will be required to provide evidence of your online status using a share code as part of the admissions process. Guidance will be provided if you are made an offer of admission. If the current validity of your status does not cover the duration of your course, or your status changes during your studies, you will need to provide your College with updated evidence at the relevant time.

If you will be studying a part-time postgraduate course, see the immigration information on our overview page.

If you will be a visiting student at Cambridge check immigration requirements on our visiting students webpage.