skip to content

International Students


Funding your course

The Student Gateway contains information for current students about your course fees and funding which may be available to support your study from both the University and external bodies. Whilst the University expects you to have your finances arranged for the full duration of your course, should you, unexpectedly, get into financial difficulty during your time here, the University does provide some hardship funds to support its students.

You will recall that when you applied, you had to prove that you could finance yourself for the entire course and that you should not expect to support yourself by working during your studies.  The University restricts the type of work you may do, and the hours; if you hold a UK visa to study then the UK Government also limits the opportunities to work.

Working during your studies

Due to the intensity of study, the University applies strict working restrictions on students, which continue for graduates even after you submit. If you hold a UK student visa, the UK Home Office sets the conditions on working during term-time, in vacations and after you complete your studies. You must adhere to these.

Undergraduate students are not expected to work during term-time.

Graduate students undertaking a course of less than twelve months cannot work during term-time

Graduate students undertaking a course of more than twelve months may work up to a maximum of ten hours per week but only:

  • on the approval of your supervisor and College tutor;
  • where the work relates to your studies or career progression;
  • if the work occurs within a department or College. The work cannot take place outside the University or College.

Often the work is limited to six hours per week. This is because some grant-awarding bodies only allow a maximum of six hours per week.

Visiting students must obtain agreement from their host department to work. The host department sets the amount of work permitted.

If you are here on a Tier 4 visa

The Home Office limits you to 20 hours work per week during term-time (please note, for graduates on courses longer than twelve months, University vacations do not apply). You can do most kinds of work, but you must not:

  • be self-employed
  • be employed as a professional sportsperson including as a sports coach
  • be employed as an entertainer
  • take a permanent full-time job
  • work as a doctor or dentist in training, unless you are on the foundation programme.

If you are on a course below degree level the Home Office restricts your right to work to ten hours per week. As noted above, the University imposes greater work restrictions and so you must abide by the University regulations.

Working after your studies

Once you have completed your course and whilst your visa remains valid, the Home Office allows you to work full-time, within the following limits.

  • You cannot fill a full-time permanent vacancy (other than on a recognised Foundation Programme);
  • You cannot be self-employed;
  • You cannot be employed as a doctor in training (except on a recognised Foundation Programme) or as a professional sportsperson, coach or entertainer.

Graduate students note, completing your course means receiving the outcome of the approval process.