skip to content

International Students


If you are a prospective undergraduate who has been invited to Cambridge to attend an interview, and you normally require a visa to enter the UK, you will need to apply as a Standard Visitor.

Your nationality determines whether you need to apply and obtain a visa before entering  the UK or whether you can be granted entry as a visitor on arrival at the port of entry from UK Border Control. You can check this on the Home Office website and should select 'Tourism' from the options provided as the purpose of coming to the UK.

To support your application you might wish to present a copy of a letter inviting you to interview. If you are attending an interview at a Cambridge College to undertake undergraduate study, that College would provide the letter. That letter should confirm the details of the interview (e.g. dates) and any other arrangements (e.g. accommodation). However, the institution inviting you to interview will not usually provide a letter for any accompanying adult.

The Home Office provides further information about applying for a Standard Visitor Visa

Under 18

If you are under 18 years and travelling to the UK without an adult, then you also require:

  • consent from your parent/guardian for you to travel to the UK; and
  • evidence that suitable arrangements have been made for your travel and stay in the UK; and
  • evidence you or your parents have enough money for the visit to the UK, including for the return journey.

If you are under 18 years old and travelling with an adult, you must identify this adult when applying for your visa. The adult must be over the age of 18. The adult's name will appear on the visa. If you subsequently arrive in the UK without that adult, you will be refused entry. You can identify up to two adults, as long as your parent or guardian has given their consent (permission). Your visa is only valid if you travel with at least one of the adults identified on their visa.

The Home Office provides further information about applying for a Standard Visitor visa if you're under 18.